Thursday, September 25, 2008

Got the job!

I am happy to report I got a job!!!! Yay! I finally received the call I have been waiting on for days! A lady from the HR department of Huntsville Intermediate School called me this morning to tell me she has received a recommendation of hire for me! There are a few things I've got to do first though. I have to take a TB test and wait for the results to come in. So today I need to find a clinic to take the test at! fun fun. ;-) And then once I get the results (hopefully by Monday) I will need to go to the school and fill out paperwork. Of course I need to bring my license, social, high school diploma, etc.

And theeen she goes on to tell me that since I don't have 48 college hours I have to go through this evaluation which is all because of the No Child Left Behind act. Apparently after this act was put into place all of the "instructional assistants" of schools had to meet more requirements than before. I don't fully understand it but I looked it up online and it makes some sense. I was kind of wondering how this was all going to work being a teacher at a school without a degree ;-) So I guess this is the catch. :-p But that's fine with me! I don't mind an evaluation! The only thing I do mind is that while that is going on I won't be getting my normal pay. I will be getting a substitute rate.

The evaluation thing could take up to 2 weeks and after that I will be receiving my full salary. So I guess I will go in on Monday and fill out my paperwork and get a few questions answered! But in any case I am SO HAPPY! This is probably as close to a dance teacher (my dream job;)) as I am going to get at this point. And that's great with me! As long as I don't have to be stuck behind a boring desk all day, I'm good! Thank you everyone for all of your prayers!! They have been answered!!

Now I guess I am off to get ready to find a clinic and take a tuberculosis test!

4 comments:

Rev. Rick Stuckwisch said...

Christ be praised! This is wonderful news, Bekah, and we give thanks along with you that our prayers have been answered.

I hope the testing and evaluation all goes quickly and smoothly and well. In the meanwhile, substitute pay shouldn't be bad, actually. The Lord provides all that you need to support this body and life, as also your body and soul for the life everlasting.

Karin said...

Very happy for you Bekah! This is certainly good news. You two have been in our prayers and on my mind. Glad things are looking up.

Sloppy Classical said...

When kids get the wiggles, you can have them stand up and "take 5"--then teach them to dance! (2 jobs in one!)
We'll be praying that this is an awesome job for you.
Any idea what the "job description" is like for sure?

Monkey Laughs said...

Thank you everyone! Lol, yeah take five and teach them to dance...not a bad idea ;-) Well, I know that I am a "instructional assistant" and that the classes I will be helping with a really large. So they need more than one teacher to teach them all.

There is another assistant as well. So basically one main teacher and two assistants. I don't know if that is what is required for all the age groups or just 5th grade. But I am helping with 5th grade.

When I had my interview the teacher was asking me that if we were to split the kids into three groups if I would feel comfortable teaching one of the groups. So it sounds like I will be doing more than just controlling kids. I think I will be in charge of actually teaching some things! That makes me sort of nervous but I told her I could handle it as long as I knew exactly what was supposed to be taught and knew what was going on. Hopefully it won't take too long to catch on to the routine there and get the hang of it!