Thursday, October 27, 2011

What's for Dinner? - Broccoli-Cheddar Soup

This is extremely tasty! I made toasted whole wheat bread to go with it but next time I think I may try to make it into a broccoli-rice casserole or maybe add some chicken...but it's also excellent on it's own!



Broccoli-Cheddar Soup
(From America's Test Kitchen Healthy Cookbook)

Serves: 5
(Tips: Adding the cheese to the soup in the blender ensures that it will melt evenly and won't clump. To prepare leeks: trim and discard the root and dark green leaves. Cut the trimmed leek in half length-wise, then slice it into 1/2 inch pieces. Rinse the cut leeks thoroughly to remove dirt and sand using either a salad spinner or a bowl of water.)


Ingredients:
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 pound leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise, sliced thin, and washed thoroughly
1 bunch broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds), florets cut into 1 inch pieces, stems trimmed and sliced thin
2 garlic cloves (I used 3 because I looove garlic)
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
3/4 cup fat free evaporated milk (I used regular since we couldn't find low fat and we usually consume full fat dairy anyway)
1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces...I think I used extra O:-))
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
salt and pepper


1. Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the leeks and broccoli stems and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

2. Stir in the broth and water and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the broccoli stems are soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in the broccoli florets and continue to simmer, covered, until tender, about 5 minutes.

3. Puree the soup with the milk, cheddar, and mustard in the blender, in batches, until the cheese is melted and the soup is very smooth. Return the soup to a clean pot and cook gently over medium-low heat until the soup is hot. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Enjoy!

No comments: